Since cars are valuable assets, owners need to make sure that the engine, steering wheel, and other components have the proper maintenance and care.
This also includes the locks and key ignition because they are more extensive and complicated than you think.
Having car locksmith services is a great way to make sure that your automotive keys are still functioning well to avoid complications in the future.
It also prevents any unwanted incidents like locking yourself inside/outside the car which can be a very stressful setting.
This doesn’t occur very often but key fobs or smart keys that have built-in sensors still managed to malfunction at some point.
Accidents such as forgetting the key fob inside your car still do happen, but there are ways on how to get it back without damaging your car locks.
Read this blog post all about Key Fob Locked In Car and if you have further questions, do not hesitate to call Speedlock Locksmiths in Hamilton.
Brief Explanation about Modern Key Fobs
A key fob is like a very small remote control that allows you to send signals to your car even if you are some meters away from it.
This keyless system is what modern cars use now to start up their engine.
With just a few presses, this piece of technological device can do several things such as:
- Remotely start or warm up your car
- Lower and closing the windows
- Fold in side mirrors
- Unlock/Lock car doors and trunk
- Set up alarm system or put it in panic mode
These five features are just a few of the several things a key fob can do.
Later on with advanced technology, more smart-key features will come such as being able to park a car remotely.
These only shows how viable the key fob is to modern vehicles nowadays and losing it would require assistance from a mechanical expert.
Factors that could cause your key fob locked inside the car
Key fobs have built-in features where they try to prevent you from accidentally locking your key inside your car.
So if you locked your key fob inside the car by chance, it means there might be problems with the sensors or the key itself.
Knowing these factors will help you diagnose your own key fob so let us discuss them now.
Issues on the Sensor Range
- Some cars have sensor “dead” zones inside which means when the fob is out of the sensor’s proximity range, the car would likely deadlock itself.
- A car door could malfunction, affecting the lock as well, due to many possible reasons.
- It could be freezing, sticky car door lock, or car door stuck in locked position.
- The good thing about this is you can open a different car door since the lock does not respond well to the keyless proximity sensor feature.
- Of course, the key fob itself can be considered as a factor since it is the device that transmits the signals to the car unlocking functions.
- Common reasons for damaged key fobs are drained batteries, major temperature breakdown, or internal key programming issues.
- Accidentally dropping or damaging your key fob could affect the control capabilities of the smart key, resulting in poor sensor range.
What to do when I locked my key fob inside the car?
Locking your key fob inside the car and having no spare traditional key is a frustrating situation that frazzles you at first.
However, you must stay calm and clear your head in order to think straight and make the right decisions for your car.
There are ways you can try even if you don’t have your car remote device on your hands.
- Start with the Obvious Measures
Examples of obvious measures are:
- checking all the doors again if they are all really locked,
- trying out a spare key if available,
- asking help from nearby passengers or AAA (American Automobile Association)
- Creatively unlock your car using accessible tools
This method you will need any available long, bendable material (e.g. a wire coat hanger) that you can insert at the top window part of the car door.
Push it inside until it can reach either the key fob or control lock buttons inside the vehicle.
- Dial 911 for Emergency Situations
For critical situations like there is a baby inside the locked car or you are in the middle of the road causing a huge traffic jam, you need to call 911 for help before it gets worse.
- Call Professional Locksmith or Mechanic
For the most effective and versatile solution, call the best and most reliable locksmith within your area.
Unlocking a smart key operated car would be too risky and could cost you more repairs when you accidentally damage your own vehicle.
Hiring a locksmith with specialization on car lockout services and key fob programming would be the top recommendation.
If you are looking for a reputable locksmith in Hamilton, you should call Speedlock Locksmith.
We have a team of multi-faceted, skillful, locksmiths who are highly trained for services such as:
- Lock Repair and Replacement
- Broken Key Extraction
- Car Lockout
- Automotive Locksmith
- Lock Installation, and more
Call us at your convenience!
Our store is open every day for 24 hours.